Are you ready for an EMERGENCY? This is the week to plan ahead and be prepared. The city wants us to be capable of managing on our own for at least 72 Hours. This would allow the City’s First Responders to focus on those in Urgent Need. Prepare, Plan and be aware by logging onto the city Emergency preparedness website. http://www.winnipeg.ca/EmergWeb/
It offers you answers, when you have questions about what To Do .A)-Is your family prepared; B) Making an Family Emergency Kit; C) What Risks in Winnipeg? D) Emergency preparedness for persons with disabilities ; E ) Staying up to date in an emergency; F) How to keep pets safe in such an Emergency?
All week, City Hall will display a complete Emergency Preparedness Supplies Kit, so we can learn what items we should include. Daily Emergency Preparedness Tips are available for your smartphone or computer by logging on to the Emergency Preparedness Email list. Here’s a list from the Red Cross which will help you build a KIT. Use this table as a checklist to ensure you are well prepared.
- Food (non-perishable)
- Manual can opener
- Crank or battery-operated flashlight, with extra batteries
- Battery-operated or crank radio
- Extra keys, for your house and car
- First aid kit
- Cash in small bills
- Special needs items (i.e. medications, infant formula)
- Personal hygiene items
- Important family documents (i.e. copies of birth and marriage certificates, passports, licenses, wills, land deeds and insurance)
- A copy of your emergency plan…..Be Smart- Be Ready- Emergency’s Wait for no one!!