The Victoria Holiday weekend is coming and so is Safe-Boating Awareness week across Canada. Chances are many Manitobans will be near or on the water during weekend activities. Taking this for granted could be dangerous. The Life-saving Society says going for a boat ride , fishing off a dock or even enjoying water sports , can be fun but being safe is a priority.
Close to a Hundred die in boating related accidents every year across Canada. Of that number Manitoba averages 25. That’s way too many! Many are gearing up to launch watercraft this holiday week-end, so it’s tantamount to have knowledge to keep them safe! The Life-Saving Society of Manitoba offers 5 KEY safety messages ;
- The importance of wearing a lifejacket
- The dangers associated with drinking and boating
- The importance of taking a safe boating course
- Ensuring that you and your vessel are prepared before casting off
- The risks associated with a fall into cold water
Take a moment , before hooking up , to log on at www.csbc.ca. and watch the short videos to remind us about being a safe boater. Here’s one which could help keep you SAFE.