…WINNIPEG FRINGE FESTIVAL!!
Can you tell I’m a fan? Well, if the bolded CAPS didn’t convince you, here’s my “Fringe How-To” for those looking for tips to get started:
- Pick-up a program for $5 at Winnipeg Liquor Mart or RMTC (Fringe Central) on Market
- Peruse for shows that suit your personal taste, but definitely don’t limit yourself to “the norm”. Also, make a schedule of your “must-sees” to be sure they don’t get away on you.
- Read reviews…or don’t. As someone who’s been going to Fringe for 10+ years, I’ve seen a lot of shows that I thought were phenomenal pieces of art completely panned by reviewers and vice versa. More often than not, it’s word-of-mouth that’ll send you in the right direction.
- If you find yourself wandering around Old Market Square without a friend, head into the beer tent and sit with a stranger. Who knows what connection(s) you could make!
- Be prepared to laugh, cry, feel and take some shows home with you. Not the actual performers, but trust me, the ones you connect with stay with you for a long time.
- Don’t forget about the outdoor entertainment at The Cube (afternoon AND evening) and local artisans selling their goods around the Square.
- Be prepared to eat…and then eat again. ALL THE FOOD TRUCKS!
- Follow along on Twitter with #WpgFringe. If a performer is funny on-stage, they are likely a hoot online as well.
That’s all I have for now, but keep an eye on my blog for round-ups of the shows I’m seeing in the next 12 days.
HAPPY FRINGING EVERYONE!